Things That Do Not Matter
Appealing to everybody
It does not matter if you don’t seem appealing to everyone.
- Day of the week and time of day that you post
- Short term analytics (e.g., weekly traffic)
- It’s not really that they don’t matter; it’s just that you should be working on more evergreen things that make short-term nonsense irrelevant.
Being a celebrity
- It’s better to be rich and unknown than poor and famous. If you can build a successful tech career without being a celebrity, then absolutely do that — unless you just crave the attention.
- I haven’t mentioned followers once in this entire section. You can buy followers, and everyone can tell. It looks sad.
- Building real relationships with peers and mentors you respect is way more fulfilling than raw numerical mass appeal.